August 18, 2012

Wiksten Tova: short sleeves




As part of my daily perusing of the internet I bookmark sewing patterns that I think look interesting (yes, I still bookmark - not really on board for the whole public display of Pinterest), then I wait until an online sewer/blogger makes the pattern to see what they think of it (hopefully saving myself the expense and strife of buying a pattern I won't like). 



After seeing Noodlehead make a Wiksten Tova on her blog I was sold on the style. I bought a light, heather gray cotton at the Mill End store, purchased the online pattern and cut out the pieces for a size Medium. I didn't make a muslin or any adjustments to the pattern pieces, and it generally all worked out. I would say that the pattern is pretty easy to follow, includes pictures and only took a few hours to sew up. My only dislike is that the sleeves are supposed to be gathered where they meet the shoulder, but the gather is so slight that it looks like they just puckered during sewing - more like a mistake than an intentional design. I'll fix that on the next go-round.

After I made it I felt like it was kind of bland, so I added a couple of black "pearl" snaps to the placket. I also tinkered with the sleeves A LOT. I just couldn't find a length I liked so I kept rolling them up. I think I'm happy with this length.



 

4 comments:

Rebecca Woolston said...

I found your blog post through Google Images and I just love what you have done with the Tova top. Not to mention, your hair is fabulous. I pinned your photo on my "goal hair" board because I love it so. Happy Tuesday!

Abby said...

Thanks Becca! This is my favorite version of the Tova, and the one I wear the most. And thanks for the hair compliment! I found some old photos of Sarah Mclachlan and took them to my hairdresser and said I want that look - lots and lots of layers.

Whitney said...

I love your tova! I especially love the length and cuff on your sleeves. I made a muslin (that was too small, thankfully I made a muslin) and I had a hell of a time with the corners on the front panels. Got any tips? I think I might try to pin the bottom seam first and then pin the sides. I kept worrying that I was going to get the shirt caught in my seam. I'm going to try round two today. I'm making a sleeveless one. I was completely against the sleeves but now that I've seen yours, I might try some!

Abby said...

Hi Whitney! Good for you for making a muslin - I am usually way too eager to make a finished product to do the muslin, but I always regret it. I found the front panels to be very difficult as well. By the time I made the fourth Tova, I kinda figured it out. I think your approach is a good one, do the bottom first, then the sides - maybe even try not turning at the corners, but just running off the edges (does that make sense?). I even contemplated making a rounded front instead of the square because it was so tricky at first. Glad you like the sleeves as well! I think some cap sleeves could work for this too. Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...